Re: network emulation

I am really a newbie in linux traffic control.But i have task to implement a tool similar to
the nistnet tool used for netwok emulation tests but which emulates a wireless environment.
Interesting project. I'd suspect that 90% of the effort will be in determining
models for wireless path characteristics ;)
1. A simple task to add say a delay of 10ms to packets goin to a particular destination.I
2.The second part is similar to the first but involves dropping a percentage of packets
instead of adding a delay to them.Example i need a 10% packet drop for packets coming from
netem will do this too.
3.To implement bandwidth sharing among different hosts.Example 4 hosts are communicating to each other and all traffic between them is routed through a router which is like the
bottleneck and acts as the wireless network environment with the bottleneck capacity as the
known wireless link capacity.I was thinking and am currently trying this using the HTB
queuing discipline.I wanted to know if this idea can be effectively implemented using the
HTB queuing discipline.
Probably. You might try using imq devices with HTB to get the traffic
to go through the shaper the way you want. Real wireless networks have
quite complex characteristics though, which I suspect will require custom code.