Hardware solution? (or v.easy software fix instead)

I'm moving to a new place and my new flatmate wants a router because
he likes the cleaness of it all in a non geeky way which I can
understand.

This means it's going to be hard for me to pursude him to let me run a
computer as a router to act as bandwidth cop.

But I don't fancy trying to use ssh, VNC and games while he's using
WindowsUpdate or p2p.

So I need an answer to avoid arguments.

- Is there a plush hardware solution to the problem?

As a backup I've been looking into bandwidth scripts for an easy and
sure way to do the job. I've tried using htb.init and a smoothwall
module to do it but neither seemed to work. Now, I could spend ages
trying to get it working and so forth but when it comes to this I'm
sharing with someone else so I need something that will work
brilliantly and straight off.

If I go for the computer option and I'm able to pull it off I might as
well make it a fileserver and use it as a single computer to download
stuff on (so bittorrent, eDonkey and so we have 1 computer left on and
not 3. If so what approach would you take for this? Use my own setup
but binary parts to be sure it will work including kernel, iptables
and iproute? - or should I take a distro setup for this and add stuff
to that instead? I need:

- samba
- as many p2p programs as possible
- maybe other server software
- something to download with, say wget

What would be your approach to this? I want to find a solution that
involves less steps to make mistakes on because I haven't had it
working properly yet.

Here are some links to scripts and the like I found in order of interest:

http://www.smidsrod.no/products/firewall/supershaper/
http://www.metamorpher.de/fairnat/

#complex but hopeful:
http://www.digriz.org.uk/jdg-qos-script/#howitworks