Re: Confuse, putting packets in wrong mangle table.

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:19:58 +0100  Tóth Nándor <nug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rio Martin. wrote:
>> Folks,
>> I am a little bit confuse in how to put these packets into correct mangle
>> table for traffic shaping.
>> This is what i ve planned to do:
>>
>> - - - - :eth0 [ LINUX-BOX ] eth1: - - - -
>>
>> Let say:
>> eth0: 220.100.1.1
>> eth1: 192.168.1.1
>> eth1:1 192.168.1.2
>>
>> 192.168.1.0/24 get natted into 220.100.1.1 before reaching the internet.
>> I put every packets coming from internet (eth0) this way:
>> # iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i eth0 .. * * * *
>>
>> But what if i would like to do the same way with ip 192.168.1.1 and
>> 192.168.1.2 ? How to put the packets in correct mangle table?
>You can only shape traffic leaving your interface. You have to shape the
>incoming traffic at interface eth1, the outgoing traffic at interface eth0.
>This site is great for learning:
>http://www.knowplace.org/shaper/qdisc.html#egress
>I found to use iptables+CLASSIFY method the easiest way to classify packets.
>
>Your question is a little dizzy...

Oopss sorry then :))

Actually, there is squid proxy running in my box, with those two private IPs
(192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.2)
Both get natted to 220.100.1.1.

I need to shape incoming traffic to both of these ips but i am affraid i have
to face that i am not able to shape traffic which is generate from this box
unless those two IPs were outside the box.

If i have one more public IP than i should not so much worry about, cause i
can shape it using IMQ.

So any other ideas maybe? i'm thinkin just in case IMQ would help ..
Thanks for the info u gave anyway..

- Rio.Martin -