dynamic bandwidth allocation

Hi,

Hope someone can help me. I am a student who hass been given a
project to develop a dynamic bandwidth service.

I currently have a linux router which at the moment gives users
static bandwidth and assigns each of them to a bucket. I have not
gotten information yet as to whether each bucket is serviced in a
round robin fashion or whether certain buckets get preferential
treatment (i.e. bucket 1 service 60% as opposed to bucket 2 40%).

I need to implement dynamic bandwidth/traffic shaping based on
certain types of traffic/applications e.g.voice or based on
particluar users. So basically if voice traffic is being delayed and
not getting through,the bandwidth should be dynamically adjusted to
accommodate this and then readjusted once the problem is resolved.

I have researched the iproute 2 package,tc, packet priorities, tos
bytes, queues etc the last few days but I am actually confused at
this stage by all the information. I have also come across a
scripting tool called "pacemaker" from st josephs university in
america which seems "close" to what I want but not quite it.

If anyone could offer me advice on how I should approach this,
whether it's "do-able" and an estimation of what kind of task Im
undertaking i.e. how difficult and how much time this might take, I
would be VERY grateful. As I have not worked in industry before and
am not very familiar with linux, I dont know how possible/difficult
this project is or even how to approach it.

Thanks in advance,
Aisling.

The above electronic mail transmission is confidential and intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Its contents may be protected by legal and/or professional privilege. Should it be received by you in error please contact the sender at the above quoted email address. Any unauthorised form of reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited. The Institute does not guarantee the security of any information electronically transmitted and is not liable if the information contained in this communication is not a proper and complete record of the message as transmitted by the sender nor for any delay in its receipt.