Re: Suggestion - table of QoS mechanisms

The URL for the guide was useful, thanks.

Here are a few other QoS systems for Linux:

RSVP is provided in the stock kernel. This allows you
to reserve a given amount of bandwidth for a specific
UDP data stream. It is typically not used in "the real
world" because it doesn't scale well. Too much state
information needs to be transmitted and kept track of,
to be useful on backbone routers.

USAGI is based on KAME, and KAME supports ALTQ. In
turn, ALTQ supports HFSC, JoBS, RIO and BLUE for both
IPv4 and IPv6. It is NOT clear from the USAGI web page
as to whether ALTQ is included in their code.
http://www.linux-ipv6.org/
http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/kjc/software.html

QLinux supports H-SFQ, but is based on Linux 2.2 and
the 2.4 sources don't seem to have ever been released.
http://lass.cs.umass.edu/software/qlinux/

DGT2684 (seems to be dead, unless the pseudo-QoS for
ATM in the Linux kernel is based on this, but then the
code on Sourceforge should be current, you'd have
thought)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dgt2684

I'm not altogether sure what SIMA did, but it seems to
have been a queueing system of sorts for the 2.2
kernels.
http://www.atm.tut.fi/faster/sima/

It's a cheat, but you can route traffic onto and off
Network Simulator and therefore use any QoS devices
available for that for regular networking. This
includes Fair Queueing, Stochastic Fair Queueing and
Deficit Round Robin, by default. Many of the ALTQ
routines have NS implementations, as well, and I'm
sure there are others. NS seems to be popular with
protocol researchers.
http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/

There's also a QoS Library which provides a useful API
for applications.
http://www.coverfire.com/lql/

Finally, I also mentioned SGI's STP patch. STP allows
you to reserve network resources for a future data
stream. As far as I can tell, it is very similar in
concept to RSVP, except that it is not UDP-specific
and is specifically designed for very high-speed
networks, where constructing and destructing
connections at the time of use can add excessive
latency. By pre-allocating, the connection can all be
set up and ready to use when it is actually needed.

--- Jason Boxman <jasonb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(snip)
> Possibly.
>
> I only know of CBQ, HTB, HFSC, SFQ, TBF, PFIFO,
> PRIO, G/RED for Linux offhand.
(snip)