Suggestion - table of QoS mechanisms

Hi,

A thought for the list. As I mentioned in another
posting, there are a lot of QoS mechanisms out there.
Linux supports some, but not all. Some patchsets add
others, but don't work for all kernels. There are also
userland implementations, usually sitting in software
routers, but there are other packages.

Would it be helpful if I worked on a table of what's
out there for Linux and in what form?

The main drawback of such a list is that while I can
tell you if such-and-such an implementation exists,
that doesn't mean the implementation is any good, or
that the QoS concept is valid. There are plenty of
arguments amongst QoS researchers as to whether RED is
useful or not, and those are the people most qualified
to know the answer. Nor would I be able to verify what
kernel patches work well together, so the individual
existance of specific mechanisms doesn't mean you can
combine them usefully.

On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be any easy
way for people to find out what does exist, what
doesn't exist YET for Linux but could easily be
written, or what used to exist but has been dropped
for reasons known or unknown.

For example, SGI's "Scheduled Transfer Protocol",
MPLS, WRR and ESFQ are all examples of networking
algorithms that are apparently deceased. The Layer 7
packet classifier isn't dead, but doesn't apply
cleanly to kernels 2.6.9 or later.

Finding these can be fun, too. I've got a copy of the
Scheduled Transfer Protocol patches, but that's
because I downloaded them while they were still on
SGI's FTP site. If they exist anywhere on the Internet
today, I haven't the foggiest where. The site for ESFQ
is dead, and the only known patches forward-ported to
recent kernels is merged into the qnet patch series,
making it hard to extract.

Any thoughts on this?

Jonathan