Re: HTB High CPU Utilization

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 05:41:43PM -0300, Gerardo Arceri wrote:
> Hi, i'm running a Bridge/iptables firewall, with no tc filters
> configured CPU utilization barely reaches 1%, i had to rate limit one
> particular server outgoing traffic and setup a HTB scheme like this
>
> iptables -F PREROUTING -t mangle
> iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -p tcp -s 99.99.99.99 -j MARK --set-mark 2
> tc qdisc del dev eth0 root
> tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 10: htb default 10
> tc class add dev eth0 parent 10: classid 10:3 htb rate 1000kbit ceil
> 1000kbit
> tc filter add dev eth0 parent 10: protocol ip prio 3 handle 2 fw classid
> 10:3

Maybe this is not strictly related to the subject of the
thread but, even if you tell tc, when not specified
otherwise, to assign traffic to class 10 by default, I
don't see any class 10 definition.

This could be not always necessary, but, as far I saw from
a couple of test I made, this can lead to some problem.
I'd like to understand whether what I observed is right or
not.

For example, let's say you have 2000kbit of total
bandwidth for output and that you are running both and
http and an ftp server.

Now let's say that you have two users that want to connect
to your machine and that both of them can potentially use
all of your output bandwidth. One of them want to connect
to the http server and the other to the ftp one.

So you tell tc to assign http traffic to class 3 that can
use only up to half the total output bandwidth, 1000kbit,
but you don't say anything about the ftp traffic.

If both the user tries to connect at the same time they of
course use the whole output bandwidth but, since there is
one kind of traffic that isn't "regulated" (it is assigned
to class 10 that doesn't exist), there is a continuos
fight between the two of them and the speed at which they
download is very irregular.

Have I understood well?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.
--
Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
``Don't bother us with politics,'' respond those who don't

 -- Richard M. Stallman
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/linux-gnu-freedom.html