Re: Fair bandwidth sharing

Craig Main wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been playing with tc trying to share the available bandwidth
> fairly between all the terminals in my internet cafe.
>
> I spend a while and had some help and setup some htb classes on my
> outgoing interface, I has now dawned on me that this will only shape
> the outgoing traffic, and if someone starts a large download, all the
> available incomming bandwidth will be used by the one terminal.
>
> Will the right thing to do be to setup tc classes/queues on my LAN
> interface to limit the bandwidth, or must I setup a imq interface and
> classify on that device?

google lartc rio martin cafe
and read the first item.

You do need to shape downloads, but how you go about that does not
necessarily involve IMQ.  Although I'm not dealing with a cafe, I have a
machine that has 2 interfaces:

inet <-> eth1 <-> shaper <-> eth0 <-> LAN switch

I shape on both eth1 and eth0, shaping downloads initiated in the LAN on
eth0.  I have not yet, but may if necessary, police.  The police would
attempt to prevent any one internal user from hogging all the download
bandwidth by dropping packets based on the internal IP and the quantity
of data per IP.

gypsy