Bandwidth throttling/limiting for all traffic

Hi,

I have a rather simple problem I have to solve, well I thought it would be simple, I've run into a problem. I think I must be missing something fundamental.

I am trying to build a Linux router that simply throttles everything down to certain bandwidths. That is, no priority queuing ...etc, just slow all traffic down to the specified rates, which are 64,128,256,512 kbit. We want to setup the bandwidth on the router, then pump a known load from an application through the router and see how that behaves over various link speeds. (we are in a lab environment)

Using kernel 2.6.5-1.358 I simply used these commands from Stef's version of tc from docum.org, module sch_htb is loaded.

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 10: htb
tc class add dev eth0 parent 10: classid 10:1 htb rate 64kbit ceil 64kit

I thought that would do the job, but my testing from uploading files via ftp to another box, show nothing gets shaped.

I think I've missed something here and need a clue. Alternatively can anyone suggest any programs that are designed for doing this type of work.

Thanks
Darryl