Re: SEPARATING VOIP AND SURFING

> Jason Boxman wrote:
> > On Monday 15 November 2004 20:06, Ricardo Soria
> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >>Dear Andy:
> >>
> >>Very thanks for your answer.  However, I need a
> little
> >>bit more extended explanation.
> >>
> >>First, you say that I should "back off more from
> link
> >>speed - total ceils to about 80% and share that
> >>between interactive and bulk".  So, do you mean
> that
> >>if I have a total 512Kbit link, and 2 child
> classes, I
> >>should not divide the whole 512kbit between the 2
> >>classes, but, I should only divide 410kbit between
> >>them, and share the remaining 102kbit between
> them??
> >>Or do you mean I should only consider 410kbit as
> the
> >>whole link capacity??
> >

> > I think he meant to treat your link as if it were
> only 410kbit.  With some
> > testing you can verify just how close to 100% of
> your advertised capacity you
> > can get, but 80% is often a good place to start.
>
> Yes that's what I meant. For uplink it's to allow
> for link overheads and
> with dsl you should be careful about tweaking as it
> may be OK at 90% in
> a test with bulk traffic - all MTU size packets, but
> if there are lots
> of small packets the overhead miscalculations may
> mean well over limits
> at 90%. You can fix this, but not perfectly, with a
> patch Ed Wildgoose
> sent to this list.
>
> Incoming traffic is different - your queue is at the
> wrong end of the
> link. You have to set a lower limit just to have a
> queue at all.

1.  So, starting at 80% of total 512kbit bandwidth
(410kbit), there would be a waste of 102kbit.  Is this
completely necessary??  I think this is to ensure I
have the queue on my side, and the queue is not on the
side of the ISP.  But, I fell tempted to think that
102kbit is too much for this purpose, considering that
I really have 512kbit all time.  What would you
finally recommend ??

> >>Second, you say that I should not use SFQ as a
> >>sub-qdisc, because of the lenght of the queue,
> being
> >>it ESFQ (new for me) a better choice.  But later,
> you
> >>say I should use SFQ for bulk traffic (I think you
> >>refer surfing as "bulk", and voip as
> "interactive").
> >>So, should I use SFQ for bulk classes and ESFQ for
> >>interactive classes ??  Or, should I use ESFQ for
> all
> >>leaf classes??  Or, should I use ESFQ for bulk
> classes
> >>and default (pfifo, I think) for interactive
> classes??
>
> What I meant was you could either change the sfq
> queue length or use
> esfq, which lets you choose length (and more).
>
> In practise you setup HTB so that your interactive
> traffic - doesn't
> queue - yes you can attach what ever you like to
> it's class - and (e)sfq
> would be OK, but if packets actually get queued in
> it you marking has
> failed and bulk got in or you really have run out of
> bandwidth.

2.  Could you please tell me a secure and trustworthy
way to know if I am having queued packets under this
class??

> The point I made was that you shouldn't really send
> a mix of traffic to
> SFQ which will still cause long delays at low
> bitrates and your users
> have potentially low rates (depends on what they
> do).

3.  I am creating 2 different htb classes, one for
interactive, and another for bulk, and also, 2
different sfq inferior classes, one for each service.
What else can I do to avoid sending a "mix of traffic"
??

> I would do a bit more work to priorotise dns/empty
> acks/small tcp etc.
> as well as VOIP, then give them a class with plenty
> of rate spare and
> make bulk borrow. This would mean that each user
> would notice a bit less
> the fact they have hardly any bandwidth (if that's
> the case).

4.  If you still have a copy of my script, you can see
I am giving "prio 0" to interactive classes, and "prio
1" to bulk classes.  I also tested giving prio 0 and
prio 1 at filters setup (and also, prio 1 to
everybody, I am not so sure what worked better).  What
else can I do to emphasize interactive traffic
priority??