RE: bandwidth limitation per dynamic IP

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 01:17, EC wrote:
> >On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 00:03, EC wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is there a way to do the following with lartc tools :
> >> I would like to limit any entering user to not use more than Xkb/mb to my
> >> website. The IPs they use are changing all the time so static IP
> >limitation
> >> cannot be used. Is there a way doing so ?
> >
> >You Say "any entering users"
> >
> >If that case, then make a _general_ rule to throttle traffic from
> >to/from port 80
> No.
> There is a general bandwidth limitation for port 80. What I need is limiting
> each user to never use more than Xkb EVEN if there is some bandwidth left
> free.

Wow.. You want to limit based on _per_ user? I'm not sure how that can
be achieved.

What I can think of is to have some sort of logwatcher (syslog-ng)
coupled with swatch (?) and using it to feed into a program that can
dynamically add the IP address into the IPtables FW mark.

But seriously, What you're trying to do, to me, doesn't make much sense.

If user A comes to your site, you give A 10kb/s (out of 50kb/s)
If user B comes then, another 10kb/s is given.

If you have 5 users concurrently then all the 50kb/s is used up.

What happens when user #6 comes in then? U pump out 50kb/s? No such
thing right?

I think the general rule of _how_ much you want to feed out is more
applicable for your needs. (correct me if I'm wrong of more info
please).

Say.. If you limit 50Kb/s for _all_ users, then it will be equally
shared between _all_ users.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel