help with outbound shaping on 1 nic

Hi,
I have been reading the lartc docs and I am a bit confused.  I am trying to do the following:

I have 3 computers.  A linux router and 2 clients.  On one of the clients I run linux and I have a ftp server using passive mode.  I want to run traffic shaping on the linux client.  It has 1 nic.

I want to shape the outbound ftp traffic to 40 KBytes because my cable connection is 45K.  I have tried to mark traffic with iptables mangle rules but I have had no success.

Is there a simpler way to do this?

I want to preserve 100mbit traffic between my 2 clients!  And I want to ensure that www and email traffic are top priority.

Is it as simple as making a root class limited to 100mbit and then have 2 child classes, 1 with full speed for www and email and the second a 'catch all' that will throttle the ftp packets?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark