Re: Suggestion.

Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to the list. I intend to learn about some Linux Networking features to help myself and others.

I'm looking to control the bandwidth in my office. Basically there are like 20 computers, a 2MB Adsl Line. And I would love to let them only use a certain amount of bandwidth. For example let every client use 20KB of internet bandwidth of the 210KB we can download at. I heard this is done with shaper, QoS and some configs in the kernel.

Learning about this, would be part of the end of my transitition of moving from MS, to Linux Servers. (I still need more to know about of Course)

I'm currently doing MASQ to provide NAT to the clients, aDSL gives Dynamic ip for the external adapter and internal adapter does the MASQ, NAT and DHCP.

This is a Debian Sid Box, 2.6.8 with Intel PRO/100 Adapters.

I think you will need to patch this to use TC

http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.6/9-rc2/net/sched/sch_api.c

If someone could give me an Easy HOW-TO and to please tell me which QoS supports I need, I'll be more than happy.

www.docum.org is a good place to start

Andy.