Source IP translation

Hey everyone,

OK, not sure if this is more appropriate on the netfilter mailing list, but here it goes.

This is a weird setup that is out of my company's control. We have a webserver setup which will be contacted by several clients with different ip. All of these client ip must be translated to the same ip. The problem is this all has to happen on the same box. So before the packet reaches the apache webserver daemon, can the kernel running on the webserver translate the source address?

I have tried iproute2 and iptables with no luck. Looked at netfilter patch-o-matic-ng and did not see anything that would help me. Is this even possible?

I would need something like this
iptables -A PREROUTING -i ethX -s $CLIENTIP -d $WEBSERVER -j SNAT --to $NEWCLIENTIP

but the SNAT is not supported in PREROUTING.

Any ideas? I not familiar with iproute2 so if there is a solution could you post the commands.

Thank you in advance,

Ryan