RE: traffic queueing and ipsec vpn

hi alexis,

its been a while since i did this modification to the kptd.

the diagram assumes that this a linux box doing a vpn tunnel(s). lets
assume that eth0 is facing the lan and eth1 is facing the internet and
that eth1 has one or more ipsec interfaces.

a packet from the lan comes in on eth0 and is destined to lan via an
ipsec tunnel. i *believe* that before the routing decision is made, the
ipsec process changes the interface to the appropriate ipsecX interface
name.

the packet, as it is not destined for this local machine, pass thru
FORWARD, POSTROUTING, and then EGRESS. ipsec encrypts the packet and the
new esp packet is repassed thru POSTROUTING and EGRESS and is dequeued
to the hardware.

if i am not mistaken, meta data from the unencrypted packet is
preserved, that is, that you may mark the packet in POSTROUTING and then
use that mark to make an QOS EGRESS decision on the ESP packet. i'll
have to check this again, but i don't have a bunch of time at the
moment.

now, assume an esp packet arrives on eth1 addressed to this box because
it is at the end of the tunnel. the esp packet passes PREROUTING,
INGRESS, and passes INPUT as it addressed for this machine. after INPUT,
ipsec decrypts the packet and it is passed thru PREROUTING, INGRESS,
FORWARD (as it is destined now for a machine on the lan), POSTROUTING,
EGRESS and dequeued to the hardware.

cheers

chalres