Problems with certificates .....

I diligently followed the instructions found at ....

http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.ipsec.automatic.keying.html#LARTC.IPSEC.X509

... only to have problems making it work for me.

I am trying to use 'racoon' to make IPSec connections between various Windows clients and a SuSE 9.1 server.

Apache2, SSL and Racoon are installed correctly, as far as I can tell. UDP:500 is listening and not blocked by the firewall.

I have no troubles setting up the certificates (with or without a certificate authority), but I am not sure of where to place them and/or how to use them with 'racoon.'

The confusion comes from not knowing what to do with the certs once they are created ... where to point the server, where to copy the certs, etc.

Can anyone point me to a good tutorial on certs? Or, better yet, make some suggestions about configuring and using 'racoon?'

Kernel 2.6.5-7
ipsec-tools 0.3.3
openssl 0.9.7d
Apache 2.0.49