Re: routing tables help

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 06:50, johan.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm wondering if I could get some help setting up the routing tables in my
> ionteranl system. I've read what I have found about this, but I'm not
> getting any wiser...
> This is my network at home:
>
> Internet <-- DSL modem <--- Internet router (192.168.0.1)
>  <--- eth1 (192.168.0.99) Linux server eth0 (192.168.1.122)
> ---> Workstation (192.168.1.22)
> ---> Thin client (192.168.1.12)

> Ok, the internal network is working fine. The linux server has a live
> internet connection aswell as the thin client. It's the workstation that
> won't get in the game. All computers are running suse 9.1 The linux server
> is using the internet router as default gateway and DNS. How do I set up
> the workstation? There is no firewall setup, and there is no need for one
> since the internet router takes care of that.

Your workstation needs to have the Linux server configured as the
default gateway. The Linux server needs to be configured to forward
packets between eth1 and eth0.

The workstation appears to have a statically configured IP, so you
should be able to enter the default gateway (192.168.1.122) where-ever
you entered the IP (192.168.1.22).

May I ask why you are using this set up? If you aren't running a
firewall on the Linux machine, and the Internet router does NAT, I can't
see any need to sit the Linux server between the Internet router and the
workstation or client client.

Your network topology could be simplied if the Linux server,
workstation, and thin client were all connected to the Internet router.
That said, I would personally reccomend you keep your existing setup,
but move the firewall and NAT back to the Linux server - Linux will
generally be more configurable (and powerful) and a consumer-level
router.

Cheers

Andrew