multiple gateways causes problem

Hi all,

My machine has got two network cards and both of them are connected to two different ISPs. I have added two ISPs to my default gateway with same metric.

Let a.b.c.d be the IP of 1st network card and e.f.g.h be the ip of the second network card

i.e., Card1 - IP=a.b.c.d,  Gateway=gateway1.isp1.net
     Card2 - IP=e.f.g.h,  Gateway=gateway2.isp2.net

route add -net 0/0 gw gateway1.isp1.net metric 0
route add -net 0/0 gw gateway2.isp2.net metric 0

My problem is, if I try to access the 1st Network card (a.b.c.d -- ISP1) from a remote machine, sometimes the connection takes a long time to establish. Is it due to the reply packets going through the second ISP?. If so how can I rectify this while maintaining both routes?. When I removed the second ISP from the routes, everything is working fine. Also, I don't have any problem in accessing these machine from my Lan.

One more thing to note is that I don't have any problem in access the second IP (e.f.g.h of ISP2) even if BOTH THE ROUTES are in my routing table (with same metric).

What could be wrong here?

Thanks,
Sudheer