Re: HTB mpu and overhead settings for PPPoE ADSL?

Stefan Gold wrote:

Hello,

I'm using HTB to shape my outgoing traffic over a ADSL-link with PPPoE with a nominal bandwidth of 128kbit/s. My goal is to favour small packets like ACKs and interactive services like ssh; in other words, I want to achieve low lantency.

If there are some big packets going over the wire, everything works fine. But if there are many small packets saturating my uplink, I get pings of 1000ms and above. To minimize this effect I've set the HTB qdisc rate to 100kbit/s. But even now, throttling my uplink to lower than 80% of physical bandwidth, pings go up to 800ms in some cases.

Today I've noticed, that two additional parameters have been added recently to the HTB-shaper: mpu and overhead. Are this new parameters suitable for solving my problem?
Which are smart values for this two settings? I'm shaping the ppp-device directly, not the ethernet-device on which the dsl-modem is connected and I'm using the kernel pppoe driver (if this is important for you to know).

You could use Ed Wildgooses' patch -

http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2004q2/012752.html

But you need to know your ppp overhead - which may be hard unless you can get a cell count out of your modem.

http://www.mail-archive.com/lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg06895.html

Andy.