netlink api

Hey all,

   I'm looking for more detailed info on the netlink api.  I've read
Andi Kleen's man pages (which describe themselves as lacking and
incomplete), rfc3549 -- Linux Netlink as an IP Services Protocol (which
was a nice general overview, but lacking in implementation detail), both
the iproute2/ip/tc source and the kernel source (which have no usable
documentation/comments), etc.

   Andi's man pages and rfc3549 were a great help in getting into the
basics of the netlink api, but I can't seem to find anything more
specific about the RTA TLV's, order of RTA's, which RTA's are optional,
which are required, etc.

   I'm thinking about writing a C++ library for netlink sockets, but I
don't necessarily want to spend the next 6 months wading through kernel
source to figure out that I had a single param wrong somewhere.  I'd
also be happy to compile a howto/tutorial/spec for others to use, if I
could just get the info.  Would anybody be interested in this?

   I'm more than happy to RTFM, but I need to know which fine manual to
read.  Please, any pointer would be greatly appreciated.

Morgan