network scripts debian

Working at setting up some new firewalls with multi-path routing over 2 isps. Doing it with debian sarge.

Problem is the normal network scripts use ifconfig and route.

In my tests I did a simple setup script.

Feel like I am reinventing the wheel :-)

Is it OK to use the network scripts to setup the interface and then remove the routes ifconfig created and add any needed routes with ip commands?

Or am I best setting up the connections from scratch?

Also related is some of interfaces are dynamic.
I ran rewrite dhclient-script or just rebuild routes in dhclient-exit-hooks.d.

Also dhcpd-script gives
new_subnet_mask=.........
new_ip_address=....
new_network_number=......
interface=eth2

But for ip route need the length part of new_network_number/length

Is there a simple way to calculate length from new_subnet_mask ?

Thanks

John