return routes

This is a very basic question but I need to confirm this ....
Is it true that RETURN routes are automatically opened without setting any
rules ?
Specifically, my setup includes a firewall and a mail server on a DMZ of the
firewall. I have two interfaces to the outside world (internet as well). The
two external interfaces masquerade anything coming from my mail server. I can
set a default gateway over eth0 and things work, I can set the default
gateway over eth1 and everything works. If I set the default gateway to eth0
but send the mail thru eth1, the outgoing mail does in fact go correctly out,
it gets masqueraded correctly but when the remote mail server answers (back
to eth1) the packets stop at eth1 and do not go back to my mail server. This
is driving me plain buggy .....
What is wrong with my thinking here .... if the mail goes ok via eth0 (eth0 is
the default gw) and goes ok via eth1 (with eth1 as the default gw) then
shouldn't I be able to have eth0 as the default gw but choose eth1 as a
default gw in a conditional test and route accordingly? I am sooo close but
yet so far ....  there must be something basic wrong with my understanding of
how things work .......
Does the alternate default gateway cause any confusion for the routing when
the packet returns ? The way I understand it is that the route is established
when the packet goes out and that same route stays active to allow the return
packet back to its original masqueraded source.

Jens