From: lartc-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:lartc-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Nicholas Erkert
Sent: 08 July 2004 22:44
To: lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  the "cisco vs. Linux" thread

Tolosa wrote:

>>you can use an Athlon
>>64 with DDR RAM and very good network hardware (that is very, very
>>important)
>

> Regarding NICs, are there any recommendations out there for which
> manufacturers to go with?  I don't need anything faster than 100baseT.
>
> I would think that Intel and 3Com would be in the "reliable" category,

> and RTL-based cards in the "forget it" category.
>
> On the Intel note, I wonder what experience y'all have had with the
> two different drivers for the EtherExpressPro/100 card.  That is,
> eepro100 versus e100.  I would think that noone would take the time to

> rewrite a driver if there wasn't anything wrong with the original one.
>
> Thank you--
> Glen Mabey

I have had some good luck with Intel cards using either drivers. I
haven't noticed much difference between them but I haen't done a lot of
stress testing on them.

On a side note has anyone built a linux router with dual/quad port
ethernet cards (ie Intel PRO/1000 MT Quad Port Server Adapter)?

--Nick Erkert

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this email and
document(s) attached are for the exclusive use of the addressee and may contain confidential, privileged and non-disclosable information. If the recipient of this email is not the addressee, such recipient is strictly prohibited from reading, photocopying, distribution or otherwise using this email or its contents in any way. Please notify the Sapiens (UK) Ltd. Systems Administrator via e-mail immediately at networksupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, if you have received this email in error.

Disclaimer: The views, opinions and guidelines contained in this confidential e-mail are those of the originating author and may not be representative of Sapiens (UK) Ltd.