FW: Static ip addresses/aliases previously (my mistake) htb: class 10007 isn't work conserving ?!

>> No I am using the EN5861, just that we have two ADSL lines and only
>> one
>> EN5861 and rather than buying another I'd like to use linux to do the
>> same job as the en5861, if you know what I mean.
>
>You can, but since you have two ADSL lines, you'll need two ADSL devices of
some kind, whether it's a pair of 5861s, or a 5861 and an ADSL port adapter
(external modem, PCI card, whatever) that Linux supports.

>The simplest solution will be to have the same setup for both lines.
Either use two 5861s, or get two ADSL adapters that Linux >can talk to.

>> So far I've set up ppp0:0 which I've assigned one of the static ip
>> addresses supplied to us by our ISP but when I try and route through
>> it i.e. ip route add default dev ppp0:0 table T1 then it returns the
>> error no such device, which it's quite right there isn't.  If I route
>> through it using the ip address of ppp0:0 i.e ip route add default via
>> x.x.x.193 table T1 then it does work but anything that goes through it
>> ends up using the IP address of ppp0.
>
>So both lines were supplied by the same ISP?

They sure are.  Due to our location we can't have an ADSL line faster than
512kbs so we've got two and I'm trying to load balance them.. But that's
another story.

>> So how can I set up the linux box to use these static IP addresses in
>> the same way I can with the EN5861?
>
>If you want to remove the 5861 from the picture entirely, you'll need to
replace it with some sort of ADSL adapter.  You can't just plug a DSL line
into an ethernet card.

>> I hope I'd made myself clear, it's hard trying to explain something
>> when your not to sure exactly what your talking about.  Anyway any
>> help with be gladly received.
>
>It would help if you could draw a diagram of your network so we could get a
better idea of what yo're trying to do.

Ok I'm not the best at ASCII diagrams but here goes anyway... (well I'll
modify the one in the advanced routing howto)

                                          +------------+        /
                          +---------------|            |       |     IP
ADDRESSES
                          |    +----------+ EN5861     +-------      EN5861
- 217.x.196.222
        __                |    |          |            |     /       eth0 -
10.0.0.152
    ___/  \_         +------+-------+     +------------+    |        eth1 -
217.x.196.217
  _/        \__      |   eth2 eth1  |                      /         eth2 -
217.x.196.218
 /             \eth0 |              |                      |         ppp0 -
217.x.230.198
| Local network -----+ Linux router |                      |         ppp0:0
- 217.x.230.193
 \_           __/    |              |                      |     Internet
   \__     __/       |     ppp0     |                      \
      \___/          +------+-------+     +------------+    |
                            |             |            |     \
                            +-------------+ USB        +-------
                                          | Speedtouch |       |

As you can see the linux router has 3 network adapters, eth0 being the local
lan and eth1 & eth2 are both connected to the EN5861 router.  I've done that
because I couldn't work out any other way to use the static IP address that
out ISP have given us.  For each connection we've got 5 IP addresses plus
one for for the router.  Eth1 & eth2 work fine ie both have the correct
static IP address given to us by our ISP but it seems impraticle putting in
another 3 cards to make use of the other IP addresses we have, there must be
another way.

Cheers for the replies, I hope this makes things a bit easier to understand.