Re: Using Token Bucket Filter to simulate a low bandwidth radio link

Nick Howden wrote:

Hello,

I am attempting to use the LARTC traffic control to simulate a radio link that has variable bandwidth and availability. The basic bandwidth could be as low as 500 bits/sec but will generally be about 4000 bits/sec. If the simulated radio link is unavailable (zero bandwidth) then packets should be queued until a link is re-established.

Yeah, I think you are going to find it hard to simulate equivalent latency as well?

I seem to remember a kernel module for slowing down a link for testing? Can't remember the details, but I saw it in my 2.6 kernel somewhere. Perhaps check the docs on that.

For my own custom apps I simulated a satellite link simply by writing a small proxy program for my particular protocol (in perl and again in VB). It queued packets and released them after a set time period at a set rate. If you are only testing a simple app then this is another way to go

Ed W