IMQ htb question

Hello,

I've just recently started to use IMQ and I got puzzled after seeing the imq usage example on the linuximq.net site:

It was something like this:

tc qdisc add dev imq0 handle 1: root htb default 1
tc class add dev imq0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 1mbit
tc qdisc add dev imq0 parent 1:1 handle 10: htb default 5
tc class add dev imq0 parent 10: classid 10:1 htb rate 256kbit burst 30k prio 1

and I tried the following (like in the classic htb examples from lartc) and it worked:

tc qdisc add dev imq0 handle 1: root htb default 99
tc class add dev imq0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 1mbit
tc class add dev imq0 parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb rate 100kbit
tc class add dev imq0 parent 1:1 classid 1:99 htb rate  900kbit

tc qdisc add dev imq0 parent 1:10 handle 100 sfq perturb 10
tc qdiisc add dev imq0 parent 1:99 handle 9 sfq perturb 10

Can someone help me understand the first example and why would someone create a root qdisc that redirects all traffic to a class and then instead of attaching child classes to that class, one would create a qdisc associated with that class and then attach the child classes to it.