From: Ed Wildgoose [mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 12:09 AM
To: adamt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  CBQ troubles, processor overload

>	The problem I'm running into is that the processor gets
>overloaded because of the amount of work tc is doing. I assumed it
would
>be able to handle the apx 5000 customers we have on it. I have a bridge
>set up between two devices that run from the internet to the local
>network. This bridge takes up 20% of the CPU when tc is not enabled.
>When tc becomes enabled, it finishes off the rest of the CPU and eats
>most of the queue as well.

5,000 rules is significant.  Have a look at the hashing examples in the
LARTC howto for some ideas on how to slash bandwidth required.

There is also a high performance iptables project kicking around which
does much better for large rulesets.  Since you don't seem to need
anything advanced I would have thought this was a drop in replacement.
Have a look at http://www.hipac.org/index.htm - Never used it though,
just came across it on google.

I think there is another chap who posted a few hours earlier may be
really interested in your perl script to read users from the DB and
build rules.  If you have any kind of traffic accounting I think he
would be interested in that as well.   Want to share any of that...?

Good luck

Ed W