Re: patch: HTB update for ADSL users

So does it just let you be honest about your rated speed, or is there an added performance bonus from being able to specify your true ATM rate?

The idea is that your ethernet packets get broken up and encapsulated in 53 byte ATM packets. Each ATM packet is fixed size and has a 5 byte header = 48 bytes of data.

Straight off that means that the 512Kbit bandwidth you bought is only good for 512/53 * 48 = 463 Kbit or 58 Kbytes/s. However, unless your packets are exactly a multiple of 48 then you will be wasting bandwidth big time (think about your MTU). Consider small ack packets which will take up two cells, but the second cell is basically empty (bandwidth slashed in half). Unless all your packets are the same size, this is why the current mutliply by some fixed constant approach is not working perfectly with ADSL.

So the patch simply works out how many cells you will need and multiplies up by the real size of those cells to work out bw used.

It's also more conservative than before. Previously it was working out an effective rate for 8 byte packets, and using that rate for 8-15 byte packets. Now it works out the rate for 15 byte packets and uses *that* for 8-15 byte packets.

It's probably not perfect, but it's extremely accurate for me. I can bump up the bandwidth on my interfaces to basically 99% and for stable streams there is no queuing. P2P still seems to cause so many new incoming connections that you need to throttle down the incoming to leave some space for an unexpected incoming rush - but for most users I think it will work nicely

Ed W