Re: QOS Script difficulty on bridge

S Mohan wrote:

If eth0 is your interface connected to the Internet, shape outgoing traffic
on eth1. This will simulate the effect of limiting download coming thro'
eth0 and also shape traffic from the local machine going out to the LAN on
eth1. In case you want to limit download from the local machines to nodes on
eth0 and eth1, apply QoS on both interfaces. Bridging does not affect or
help this in any way. Ethernet interfaces do not need to have IP addresses
for QoS to be applied in Linux. I've used htb-init with bridge-nf which has
been documented in the LEAF Bering user manual. In case you have any
questions, I'll be glad to answer them as the maintainer of that part of the
documentation.

Hmm, leaf looks like a very interesting project. THanks for the link

I think I wasn't clear though: I understand what I need to do to limit traffic into the whole network, it's limiting it to the bridge machine that is causing me problems

Consider:

Internet -> Router -> Eth1 -> br0 -> Eth0 -> local net

Now by applying QOS to eth1 I control outgoing traffic from everywhere. By applying QOS to eth0 I control incoming to the localnet (great), but NOT to the local bridge machine

Now I could fix this by using the IMQ device on eth1 and grabbing incoming traffic, but the top of the file at http://digriz.org.uk/jdg-qos-script/ implies that it is possible to do this without IMQ...

The question is how? I don't see how to do it.... What am I missing?

Thanks

Ed W