Re: Re: [ANNOUCE] iproute2 update

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 02:31:29 +0200
Andreas Klauer <Andreas.Klauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If 1024 is not used in real networks (I don't know) then you should
> just ditch it completely, IMO. Offering two possibilities is fine, but
> could also easily lead to even more confusion.

Is not only not used in networks, but also not used in hard drives and
other storage media, so when you get a 30GB hard drive you only get 30
000 000 Bytes.

The correct way according to SI (Internationa System of Units) and the
IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) are explained here [1]

So if you're using power of two factors (times 1024) they should be
called kibi (Ki), mebi (Mi), gibi (Gi), tebi (Ti), pebi (Pi), exbi (Ei),
and for power of ten they should be kilo (k), mega (M), giga (G), etc.
Notice the lowercase k for kilo, as uppercase K is for Kelvin units in
the SI.

If well documented and frontend developers are encouraged to use the
correct unit symbols I don't see any major problems in the mid term,
only some at first until people gets used to them.  The kind of users
that will usually use iproute should have the brain to understand that
Mbps is 1000 kbps wich is 1000 bits per second and also that MBps is
1000 kBps wich is 1000 bytes per second, and to understand that if they
want to use power of two they will have Mibps that is 1024 Kibps wich
are 1024 bits per second.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebi

Federico Figueroa C.