Re: HTB, MPU, and suitable values

Andreas Klauer wrote:

Am Tuesday 18 May 2004 08:38 schrieb Ed Wildgoose:

I would code this as:

size = ( (int)((datasize-1)/48) + 1) * 53

You could hardcode something similar into your tc and see if it helps
(just remove PMU and overhead code added by the existing patch).

How does modifying the tc code affect the way rates are calculated and limited in the kernel? Isn't it just a userspace tool to create qdisc / class structures and read statistics?

Dunno, haven't had time to read through the code much. It started because someone earlier in this thread pointed out that there was a patch available on the tc website to better handle overhead and MPU. I just altered the patch in a different way based on what looked fairly obvious.

However, I notice that tc is noted to "have a full implementation of HTB inside it". Perhaps there are two HTB implementations kicking around?

If I get a chance I will have a poke around in the code. If the flow is this straightforward in most of the kernel modules then it looks pretty straightforward to implement some options to control padding packets to simulate the underlying protocol. However, since no one else has done it, I doubt it is so...

Ed W