Re: monitoring classes

On Monday 24 May 2004 19:01, Jason Boxman wrote:
> On Monday 24 May 2004 10:24, Andreas Klauer wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > > or perhaps even an snmp module that
> > > would present them as interfaces to be polled
> >
> > I don't use snmp myself, but I think Jason Boxman (in #lartc on oftc.net)
> > does some kind of monitoring that way. Maybe you could try asking him.
> > ;-)
>
> Heh.
>
> Mentioned back in December on this list, I have been playing with an
> Net-SNMP extension[1].  Not being much of an RRDTool person, I setup a Perl
> script that uses Net::SNMP that is callable by Munin[2] to update an
> RRDTool database every five minutes.  (Is that too little resolution?)
>
> [1] http://x-ray.prokon.cz/data/snmp/
> [2] http://www.linpro.no/projects/munin/
>

> I have been tracking qosBps as a GAUGE value, since deleting the root qdisc
> and recreating it results in qosBytes being erased.  Does anyone have a
> preferred way of obtaining the rate information?
Trust rrd, just update the counters and rrd calculates the rate.  You loose
some values if you reset the tc stats, but will not happen that much.

> I imagine it should be
> converted to bits?  Any other hints for producing useful graphs with
> RRDTool for traffic shaping statistics?
You can stack the rates of the child classes so the sum is the parent rate.
You can also stack the rates of the child classes in % so the sum is 100.  I
can help you with this because I did it this before.

Stef

--
stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"