Re: 2 Questions on filtering incoming stuff

Damion de Soto wrote:

Hi Ed,

First is: Can I prioritise my "drops" on incoming traffic when the link is overloaded. ie instead of just tail dropping, can I "prefer" to drop certain classes of traffic? If so, do I do this by setting up, say, a HTB tree like on the incoming, but the only action at the leaf is to drop?

You can't set up a HTB or any classful qdiscs on incoming traffic, you can only create ingress policer filters. You can setup different filters with different priorities, to try and drop one particular type of traffic moreso than others.

Thanks, this is helpful.

Thinking about it though, the different filters priorities isn't going to help too much? eg if I want to accept ACK's, then incoming SMTP, then other bulk downloads, then of course I can setup prioritised "bands" by limiting some stuff more than others. But I don't think that a simple priority system will let me accept up to full bandwidth of each, but dropping in a preferential order? (Or do you think simply matching each with a 200Kb/s filter in priority order from highest to lowest will do the trick?)

If you're using a linux gateway onto your lan, then you can use a HTB qdiscs
on the outgoing (lan) interface which would do a better job.

Sure. Same problem for local traffic on that machine though.

However, can you apply filters to aliased IP addresses, ie the virtual interfaces eth0:1? Do the filters only apply to the real interfaces (which I think is true of iptables for example?) This might also be useful for setting up a bandwidth filter PC using only a single net card for example (assuming you don't worry about people bypassing it manually)

Thanks

Ed W