Re: HTB, MPU, and suitable values

I imagine that 106 value is a reference to this post:

http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2004q2/012369.html

It's my suspicion that the MPU and overhead options for HTB would assist in resolving this and enable me to resume using 190kbit instead of 160kbit for the outer most parent class.

Is my suspicion correct?

Read the follows to that post as well. Basically it's only an approximation. The "MPU" is basically pointing out that your ADSL stream is encapsulated in an ATM stream. ATM uses fixed size 64 byte packets. You need at least 2 of these, hence the 108 figure for MPU. Now you also need to estimate overhead which is going to be the size of the header on those ATM packets.

However, that still leaves the "wasted space" on the end of small packets (eg those that take up 2.5 ATM cells, how much does the 0.5 take up).

I suggested a crude way to tweak that patch (easy to see how it works if you look at the relevant lines in the orig file). However, I dont even have a working QOS system so I haven't even compiled it! Look up the specs for ATM though and you should be able to tweak that suggested line change and get something.

I for one would be really interested to hear if it solves the problem!

Ed W