HFSC

Hi:

I am using a machine with the 2.4.26 kernel, and trying to compare the performance of the HTB qdisc with the HFSC one. I have the following simple script that allows me to have a video stream on port 1234 while it limits a ttcp UDP stream so that the video stream is unimpaired.

#!/bin/bash

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb default 12

tc class add dev eth0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 30mbit ceil 30mbit
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:10 htb rate 20mbit ceil 30mbit
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:11 htb rate 10mbit ceil 30mbit

tc qdisc add dev eth0 parent 1:10 handle 20: pfifo limit 5
tc qdisc add dev eth0 parent 1:11 handle 30: pfifo limit 5

tc filter add dev eth0 protocol ip parent 1:0 prio 1 u32 match ip dport 1234 0xffff flowid 1:10
tc filter add dev eth0 protocol ip parent 1:0 prio 1 u32 match ip dport 5001 0xffff flowid 1:11

Now I would like to try H-FSC. I'm not sure exactly how to go about this. I thought that creating a ul class with two ls classes inside and then putting an rt class in one of the ls classes for the video might work, but I can't seem to get it to work. For example,

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/bin/tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: hfsc

/usr/local/bin/tc class add dev eth0 parent 1: classid 1:1 hfsc ul m1 30mbit d 0 m2 30mbit ls m1 30mbit d 0 m2 30mbit

When the second command is executed, the machine simply drops all packets going through it. I would like to try the 2.6 kernel, but my machine has an Adaptec SCSI controller that has a broken driver for the 2.6 kernel.

I don't understand why this statement causes the machine to drop all packets on the eth0 interface.
--
Lawrence MacIntyre 865.574.8696 lpz@xxxxxxxx
Oak Ridge National Laboratory