Re: tc does'nt limit the bandwidth!

first you cant use limit of 9 bits /s it is 1 byte /s, so completely
unreasonable speed. set it to 50 bytes/s at least

another popstential problem that you are using independent root classes for
each client
that means they wont share bandwitch. customer a will always get 256 kbits
and others will get their ceil limit all time.

and my suggestion is to NOT touch default or you may have problems
if rate = ceil then just specify rate.

if you want your clients share bandwitch then you need to create one root
class and attach everyone to it.
this will look like this:

tc qdisc add dev eth1 root handle 1: htb default 1
                       #Classes#

tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:    classid 1:5    htb
rate  230kbps   #root (set rate to 80-90% of link capacity)

tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:5    classid 1:100  htb
rate     9bps ceil    9bps  #ICMP

tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:5    classid 1:100    htb
rate  144kbps ceil 230kbps  #customer A
tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:5   classid 1:101  htb
rate   16kbps   #customer B
tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:5    classid 1:111  htb
rate   32kbps  #customer C
tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:5    classid 1:121  htb
rate   32kbps  #customer D

b,c and d will get always and only rate amount of trafic