Re: wondershaper question

Chris Winfield-Blum wrote:
> Maybe there is another solution to this problem?
>
> The problem is that I have had a couple of users on the network hogging
> the bandwidth and while we do have a policy implemented sometimes the
> downloads are genuinely work related (eg downloaded a new version of an
> application we use for development)
>
> Sooo what I NEED is
>
> A script that will ensure that ports 80, 25, 110, 443, etc are priority
> Then that these are then are then "shaped" to not allow one person to
> hog it all.
>
> In an IDEAL situation I would like to break it up into classes
>
> Server Class: that has access to ALL ports and are priority for any
> traffic (maybe I can set them a guaranteed 100Kb/s)
>
> User Class: that has priority access (that doesn't override the server
> class) to ports 80, 25, 110 etc. Perhaps the remaining 156Kb/s is
> divided evenly?
>
> Any suggestions? Im really NEW to this and would love some example
> scripts (preferably commently highly :P hehe)
>
> This was the address of the other script that I found:
> http://www.surestorm.com/qos/
>
> I am not "set" on using wondershaper..
>
> Thanks for all your help
>
> Chris

Wondershaper and other such scripts are good examples, but if you want
very fine-grained control of your traffic shaping, you'll probably want
to write your own script (or at least tweak one). Don't be intimidated
by the apparent complexity of the examples you see -- although the
commands for shaping traffic are probably unlike anything you've seen
before, they're not hard to understand after reading the available
documentation.

Of course, www.lartc.org is a good place to start. Look through chapter
9, but don't worry if you don't understand everything the first time.
The qdisc you want to use is htb (as you can see, that's the heart of
wondershaper), and there's a good in-depth description at:
http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/
(follow the link for "user guide").

-Corey