Re: bridging shaper

Bart De Schuymer wrote:

There are no real differences, except that arptables doesn't see bridged

traffic, between the 2.4 bridge-nf/ebtables patch and the code in 2.6. So my guess is the problem isn't the bridge filtering code.

I don't doubt that the bridging code, and iptables/ebtables is nearly the same, but _something_ is different. (Kernel .config options, QoS code, 2.4/2.6 interface, aliens abducting sk_buff->nfmark, I dunno...) The same system booted with a 2.4 kernel and a 2.6 kernel behave differently. 2.6 was configured with similar options to 2.4. (make oldconfig -> Maybe there's a new option somewhere that I'm missing?)

As far as I can see, bridged traffic control on 2.4 works, 2.6 doesn't:

"tc -s class show dev eth0" on a 2.4 kernel shows packets being classified properly, whereas on 2.6, they are not classified properly.

I actually think iptables/ebtables is working properly; In 2.6, ebtables does indeed count the correct number of packets passing through each rule, and assuming that "-j mark" actually marks them, the only possibly answer would be that the tc stuff isn't catching those marks.

I'd be really happy to hear any suggestions or ideas, 'cause I'd really love to get 2.6 working! If there's _anything_ I can do that might help debug this stuff, I'd be glad to try.

Cheers,

jon