HTB and message 'RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument'

I wish to use HTB shapper with ESFQ scheduler per class. Kernel patched, compiled and reinstaled with all needed modules. Package iproute is also patched, compiled and this 'new' version is installed.

When I tried assign HTB as root qdisc with the 'new' tc I got message

root@nm-vra:/etc/init.d# tc qdisc add dev eth2 root handle 1: htb default 12
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
root@nm-vra:/etc/init.d#

BUT when I do the same with original tc (I doesn't support ESFQ), everything is ok

root@nm-vra:/etc/init.d# /usr/local/sbin/tc qdisc add dev eth2 root handle 1: htb default 12
root@nm-vra:/etc/init.d#

Sources for ESFQ patching I take from Debian sources (iproute_20010824.orig.tar.gz, iproute_20010824-8.diff.gz and iproute_20010824-8.dsc). I hope it sources are the same version as original (Debian binary) iproute package.

When I tried apply HTB3.6 patch to iproute sources I got message, that the patch is already used.

Do anybody know where is problem?

Patrick