linux router and HA

While this may sound a bit off topic I suspect this list
can be the best regarding _experience_ in linux routers
failover. So forgive me if you my question is not exactly
what you might expected.

I have linux router (iptables + iproute2) transmiting (quite big)
network traffic between 4 local LANs. The router works very well
but I prepared, in case of hardware failures, another, similar router
with the same configuration. But when the failure occurs I have to
manually change cords into the new router. Of course it is not
the most comfortable solution.

So I am looking for a failover solution for such LAN. The most important
thing is the router has four routing NICs. And all of them should
be taken over to a failover router. Does anybody use such "failover"
(working !) solution ?

przemol