Re: ingress QoS

Robert Felber wrote:
Hello guys,

Setup: 	iptables 1.2.9 (patch-o-matic not used)
       	linux 2.4.25 (gentoo vanilla, everything needed compiled in)
	eth1 -> pppoe (ppp0)
	eth0

Goal: Fair queuing of incomming traffic

Story:

since I've failed to use IMQ with iptables 1.2.9 and linux 2.4.25,

What failed - my 2.4.24 setup may work I'll try 25 soon.

I've tried to attach a HTB qdisc to eth0 with a root of 100mbit
and classes with rates of 100mbit and DSL downlink speed (768 kbit).
The downlink class I divided into important traffic (700 kbit) and bulk (68 kbit) - both got HTB qdiscs.

You need to set limits to 80% or less - depending on number of tcps and how much you care about latency.

The router packets with source 10.0.0.1 end up in the 100mbit queue, but
I have to set this rule to prio 1 otherwise the bulk rule (src 0.0.0.0/0)
will take place.

Everything is working fine so far.

Since I wanted to speed up browsing while having other downloads,
packets with sport 80 are queued in the important queue.
Also I wanted to be very smart and use a transparent squid.
But then I thought twice and realized, that packets with sport 80 end up
in squid (except it was a direct connection), thus the packets are queued different.

Question is now: do I also have to add qdiscs to device lo, or how can I
queue the router's incomming traffic for routers's local processes.
If I have to add qdiscs for lo, what would be the bandwidth?
And, would that be clever in general?

If what you want to do is controll/share incoming DSL bandwidth for local and forwarded traffic you need to put IMQ on ppp0. I guess you don't need to throttle/priorotise squid to the LAN for stuff that's cached, but do when it's getting stuff from the net.

Andy.

If someone is interessted in the script, drop a note.

Thanks in advance,
Rob