Re: bandwidth limiting per ip/user

try pyshaper - http://www.freenet.org.nz/python/pyshaper

Very easy yet very versatile

Josh Beagley wrote:
Howdy,

I have searched and read many other mailing list posts/usenet posts etc, however seem unable to find a direct answer for my problem....

I have a 2Mbit link network, and was wanting to limit 20 ip addresses, in the range x.x.x.20 to x.x.x.40 to downloading at 40Kb/sec.

I setup cbq with cbqinit on there, and tried having 2 class files, one for external and internal interface, and limiting the rate to 400Kbit and the weight to 40, and having a RULE=IP for each ip address...., however the machines seem to be sharing bandwidth, eg if to start downloading they get roughly 25 between them.

I am unable to modify any iptables rules, why that is so is not relevant, however I simply do not have the ability to play with marking, and need an alternative such as rshaper/cbq/wondershaper

I am currently trying to get rshaper working, and am wondering if that will work out to be a better solution...eg will it work as I am expecting if I use rshaperctl to add a rule for each ip?

Otherwise, what other tools/suggestions could be advised?

Many thanks in advance,
Josh

Kind regards
David

--

leave this line intact so your email gets through my junk mail filter