Re: Any danger in thrashing 'tc'?

David McNab wrote:
> Is there any danger in a prog which repeatedly clears the ingress
> and root egress qdiscs, and sets up new ones, even as frequently as
> every 5-15 seconds?

[...]

> As you can see, the prog will be frequently spitting heaps of tc
> commands, constantly taking down the ingress and root egress qdiscs,
> and creating new ones.
>
> So, am I likely to hit on any unintended consequences (apart from
> the minor cpu spikes)?

When you remove the qdiscs, you will cause all queued packets to
drop. When you add qdiscs you obviously have reseted the burst values
for all of them so then each of has a full burst to spend (if you use
bursts anywhere, that is).

This does not happen when you change parameters that can be changed by
'tc qdisc change', but not all values can be changed. And obviously
this does not happen if you just change iptables marking rules to mark
packets differently.

As for your actual problem - I would suggest looking for some other
solution than mangling rules/qdiscs every few seconds.

-- Naked