how do you rate limit routable traffic without rate limiting LAN protocols like arps and igmp?

I'm rate limiting and prioritizing traffic upstream of a slow wan link
using htb, classic wonder shaper type stuff. I'm using the following
command for traffic that does not match any of my defined filters:

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb default 50

It appears that local, non-routable traffic like arps and igmp are being
snared by this and end-up queued in the lowest priorty queue. I was
surprised that non-IP traffic would be effected by IP traffic control.
How do I prevent this local, non-routable traffic from being queued?
Since it's local, I just want it to go at line rate. I know if I remove
the default parameter, traffic not matching any filter is sent over the
root queue, but I need to have a defined default.

All the literature I've seen only covers tc filters dealing with the
protocol IP. I've tried to filter on the arp protocol (I read this
works, but not for me), got error messages:

I've tried to using u32 matches with negative offsets, but no luck.
Sorta relieved that it didn't work, cause it seemed liked a hack.

Mike