Marks, MASQ and SNAT

I found the following at:

http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.netfilter.html

IMPORTANT: We received a report that MASQ and SNAT at least collide with marking packets. Rusty Russell explains it in this posting. Turn off the reverse path filter to make it work properly.

The "posting" link refers to the following:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/netfilter

I get a 404 whenever I go there.

I've done a lot of Googling on this subject and I am only finding very small fragments of information. Can anyone provide me with a link to more info, or lay out the details of the issue for me?