Re: Dynamically changing ceil (and removing filters)

> One of the goals is that heavy users (basically p2p users) shouldn't be
> able to ruin it for the others.  The average user should never have to
> sit and wait for 5 seconds while google loads, or get 4000ms pings to an
> upstream router.
Well, again someone struggeling p2p and it's side effects. What about not
letting P2P users download anymore? There is a netfilter extension called IPP2P
( http://rnvs.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/ipp2p/ ) that can be used to drop
certain P2P packets thus making down- and uploads of the supported p2p-networks
almost impossible:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m ipp2p --ipp2p --bit --apple -j
DROP

If this would be an option to you give it a try and come back to me with the
results.  We ran such a system for about 6 weeks at a university link and
found it beeing pretty stable. If you don't want to recompile the kernel and
iptables grab the source code do a make and copy the modules to the appropriate
place. Look at the documentation section at the webpage and the README
included in source tarball. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Mike