Re: Puzzled why my scripts don't give me the desired result

On Thursday 22 January 2004 07:50, Terry Tse wrote:
> I am wondering if someone can examine why my set up does not give me the
> desired result. What I aim to achieve is to make DNS, ICMP, POP3, HTTP,
> SSH, SMTP traffic at a higher priority than FTP serving and Kazza traffic.
>
> However, when the FTP server is busy servicing FTP traffic, web browsing
> traffic has dragged to almost unusable.
You have to shape in both directions if you want to get good results.  Also,
if you use different prio's for the class, you can get in trouble when a low
prio class sends more data then the configured rate.  If this is the case,
the latency will be very high for the low prio class.
And ftp traffic is more than port 22.  It can be any port.

Stef

--
stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"