Re: a couple of questions regarding htb

Hi.

Serge Maandag wrote:
Yes, IMQ. You can do ingress shaping with it, or you can bundle output
traffic from various interfaces and shape at a single point.
I will check it out then. Is that bundling as in bundling on a loopback interface? I remember that's how Cisco likes to do things.

That's what the IMQ Faq answers to your questions:

=== cut ===
1. What can i do with imq ?

The imq device has two common usage cases:

* Ingress shaping:
With linux only egress shaping is possible (except for the ingress queue which can only do ratelimiting). IMQ enables you to use egress qdiscs for real ingress shaping.

* Shaping over multiple interfaces:
Qdiscs get attached to devices. A consequence of this is that one qdisc can only handle traffic going to the interface it is attached to. Sometimes it is desireable to have global limits on multiple interfaces. With imq you can use iptables to specify which packets the qdiscs sees, so global limits can be placed.
Source: http://trash.net/~kaber/imq/faq.html

Hth.

Bye, Mike