Re: Quantum of class nnnnn is big

I ran into this problem as well. Here's something quoted from our bug database that came from the research I did:

---

This message comes from the root qdisc when we attach a class to it. It examines the data rate of the subordinate class and computes the "quantum" for that class.

A "quantum" is the unit of sharing for bandwidth allocation. It is the number of bytes the the root qdisc will collect at one time from a given class before moving on to the next one. It's important that the quantum be at least 1500, since that's the maximum size of an Ethernet packet.

The root qdisc computes the quantum size for a class by dividing its data rate, expressed in bits per second, by a configurable constant called "r2q" (short for rate to quantum). The default value for this constant is 10, but you can set it to anything you want.

---

So, it looks like the quantum being computed for you is very large, and the message is suggesting that you reduce the value of r2q so the quantum isn't so big.

According to Stef's FAQ at
http://qos.dyndns.org:3389/cgi-bin/fom?_highlightWords=r2q&file=31, the buit-in limit for the quantum is 60000 bytes.

Luciano Lima wrote:
My gateway is showing these messages:

htb*g j=4929
htb*r7 m=0
htb*r6 m=0
htb*r5 m=0
htb*r4 m=0
htb*r3 m=0
htb*r2 m=0
htb*r1 m=0
htb*r0 m=0
HTB: quantum of class 10001 is big. Consider r2q change.

What does it means ?

Thanks,

Luciano Lima