a couple of questions regarding htb

Title: Message
Dear list,

I want to rate-limit a couple of customers in both up and down directions.
They get a different speed for traffic staying on our network than for traffic towards/from the internet,
so that's a master class and 2 child classes per customer per interface.

I made a test setup with cbq which worked, but wasn't too reliable I measured a tolerance of about 30%.
I read that cbq is not maintained, htb is much more reliable, and I  believe I can do the same classful
stuff mentioned above with htb.

Am I correct?

The box I will use to limit the traffic on has 3 ethernet connections with customers and 1 uplink.
I read somewhere that only outgoing traffic can be limited.

Is that correct or will limiting of incoming traffic work but isn't it just as reliable?

If I would filter outgoing traffic from the customer on the box, I would have to do that on every
interface except for the one the customer is on. Therefore the client will be able to sent out
more traffic than allowed, if it is spread over multiple outgoing interfaces.

Is there a solution to this?

I figure I can not make classes that span multiple interfaces to limit the total traffic leaving the
box and coming from the customer?

If I use ip aliasing (a la eth0:1), does that mean I would have to make qdiscs/classes for eth0:1
or will the traffic be covered by the qdisc/classes on eth0?

Uhmm, that's enough for now.

Thanks a lot to everyone who can help me a bit further.

Serge.

Op de inhoud van dit e-mailbericht en de daaraan gehechte bijlagen is de inhoud van de volgende disclaimer van toepassing: http://www.zeelandnet.nl/disclaimer.php